Scams have been plaguing utility consumers across North America for several years. Here are some tips on how to protect yourself:
• Do not assume the name and number showing up on your caller ID are legitimate. Caller IDs can be spoofed.
• Never share your personal information, including date of birth, Social Security number or banking account information.
• Never wire money to someone you don’t know.
• Do not click links or call numbers in unexpected emails or texts – especially those asking for your account information.
• Most utilities will NOT require their customers to purchase prepaid debit cards or money orders to avoid an immediate disconnection.
• If you receive a call about your electric bill that sounds like it may be a scam, or if you believe the call is a scam, hang up, call the police and report the incident to us at 800-897-7362.