Happy July! It’s hot, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t save energy. We plan to give some easy, summer energy saving tips every Monday in the month of July so that you can beat the heat, but not have to pay the increased price.
1. Switch off the energy suckers- use your computers energy saving function, unplug your printer, and unplug your cell phone charger.
2. Keep your windows and doors closed. Opening and closing windows will just make your cooling system work extra hard.
3. In the summer, keep your thermostat comfortable but not freezing. Consider adjusting it a few degrees higher when you are away from home.
4. Switch off a fan when you leave the room. Fans are for creature comfort! Pay attention to which way the blades are turned. Are they pushing heat down or pulling hot air upward? Counterclockwise is the way to go.
5. Make sure that vents are open and that there is space around them to maximize their performance.
6. Turn down the temperature of your water heater to 120*. Especially in the summer, you could save by dialing it down.
7. Close the blinds and drapes through sunrise to sunset. Those extra rays make a room even hotter.
8. Follow directions and replace air filters accordingly to allow air to flow freely.
9. Use solar lighting outdoors. These fixtures are perfect when there is plenty of sunshine.
10. Use an outdoor grill to cook whenever possible. It is a great replacement for the energy cost of an oven.
11. Wash clothes in cold water, clean dryer filter, and hang dry when possible.
12. Set your thermostat fan to auto.
13. Use a power strip to turn off multiple items at once.
14. CFL and LED light bulbs.
15. Look for an Energy Star label the government’s symbol of energy efficiency.