- Boone REMC was the first electric cooperative established in Indiana.
- We were incorporated in 1936 as the Boone County Rural Electric Membership Corporation (REMC).
- Boone REMC was initially organized in 1935 as the first project under the direction of the Indiana Statewide REMC to serve as a model for cooperatives throughout the state.
- Boone REMC received one of the first loans provided by President Franklin Roosevelt’s Rural Electrification Administration (REA).
- Our first pole was set on January 9, 1936 at the corner of Lebanon and Noble streets in Lebanon.
- Our first 60-mile section of line, branching west and northwest out of Lebanon, was energized on May 22, 1936.
- Boone REMC was the second REA-funded electric cooperative in the United States to energize power lines and serve customers.
- In 1994, the name Boone County REMC was changed to Boone REMC to better reflect the boundaries of our service area.
Historical Documents & Articles