The History of Boone REMC
On April 10, 1936, Boone REMC became the first electric cooperative established in Indiana, incorporated as the Boone County Rural Electric Membership Corporation. We were formed to extend electric service into rural areas where other utilities had refused to provide affordable power and received one of the first three loans from President Franklin Roosevelt’s Rural Electrification Administration (REA).
Our first pole was set on January 9, 1936, at the corner of Lebanon and Noble Streets in Lebanon, Indiana, and our first 60-mile section of line was energized on May 22 of the same year. We were the first REA-funded electric cooperative in Indiana, and the second REA-funded co-op in the United States, to energize power lines and provide electric service.
In 1994, we changed our name from Boone County REMC to Boone REMC to better reflect the boundaries of our service area. And throughout our history, we have always worked hard to provide affordable, reliable electricity to the members we serve.
Get a firsthand look at our history by browsing our photo albums:
Historical Documents and Articles
Read more about the history of Boone REMC and the rural electrification project:
- “Powerful Pioneer”- Indiana Connections, May 2019
- “Boone County will turn on the lights” – Indiana Farmer’s Guide, February 1, 1936
- Emily Schilling’s Power to the People: A History of Rural Electrification in Indiana
- Boone REMC Newsletter – First Edition
- Clark Woody Family article – Co-op Power, 1946 Edition
- Customers on the First Section of the Line